It’s the moment you’ve been waiting for – getting your project up and running. Unless you want to be home, you’ll need to arrange for your Contractor to access your home by lockbox or another method. If you have a home security system, you’ll need to make arrangements to avoid having it set off.
Follow a few simple tips to make sure your Home Energy Improvements are installed as smoothly as possible. The most important thing you can do ahead of time is clear the way for your Contractor. You want your Contractor focused on upgrading your home, not moving boxes to reach your crawlspace. Similarly, your Contractor should be concerned with how your home performs, not about knocking over a vase. Here are some steps you can take to have a speedy, breakage-free Home Energy Remodel:
- Move furniture, drapes or other furnishings away from heating duct registers, crawl space and the attic
- Place breakables in a safe place
- Clear a perimeter around your furnace and hot water heater
- Make sure pets are in a safe place, especially if they may be sensitive to Contractors moving through your home
- Alert your Contractor if accessing the outside of your home will affect any of your landscaping, so precautions can be taken
HPwES sets high standards for Participating Contractors. We expect Contractors to respect your home by wearing booties or removing their shoes, sweeping up debris at the end of the day, and asking your permission to store tools in your home until the work is done.