The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program (HPwES) is a national program administered by the U.S. Department of Energy in conjunction with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Since 2002, over 275,000 homeowners have improved their homes’ energy efficiency with whole house solutions to improve comfort and indoor air quality while reducing energy bills. Their homes are warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and more affordable to operate all year.
The Richmond area includes the approximately 1.2 million residents of the city of Richmond; town of Ashland; and the counties of Hanover, Henrico, Chesterfield, New Kent, Powhatan, Goochland, and Charles City.
Richmond area utility rebates:
Dominion Virginia Power Residential Energy Efficiency Rebates
- Home Energy Check-Up: A walk-through audit with on-the-spot installment measures.
- Heat Pump Tune-Up: Rebate of $90 for maintenance of an existing heat pump with back-up electric heat.
- Duct Testing and Sealing: Rebate of $125 for having poorly performing duct and air distribution systems tested and repaired. Rebate is only valid for homes with a heat pump with back-up electric heat.
- Heat Pump Upgrade: Either a $200 or $250 rebate for replacing your heat pump with a 14.5 SEER rating or higher.Learn more about how to quality for these Dominion rebates by asking a RREA pre-qualified contractor
or by clicking here.
Columbia Gas of Virginia Residential Rebates
- New hot water heater
- ENERGY STAR replacement windows
- Adding insulation
- High efficiency natural gas furnace
- Duct sealing and insulation
Richmond area contractors:
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractors are trained in building science – they know what energy efficiency improvements will benefit homeowners and are equipped with specialized diagnostic tools to determine how homes perform and where there are opportunities to solve problems related to comfort or high bills. HPwES sponsors pre-qualify local contractors to participate in HPwES, and their technical experts perform independent Quality Assurance inspections on the work the contractors install.
Quality Assurance in the Richmond area is provided by the nonprofit Richmond Region Energy Alliance (RREA) based in Richmond. Learn more about the QA process.